Is it legal to plead youthful offender on 2 different offenses in 2 different Alabama counties? Public defender did this for me.

Tuscaloosa, AL |

14 or 15 years ago I had 2 separate DUIs in 2 separate counties. Plead youthful offender for 1st and got probation. At a second DUI hearing in another county the public defender told me to plead youthful offender. Told him I had done so in another county recently and he said it was okay. Now, 15 years later applying to work as a police officer and I'm afraid this may come back to bite me.

I'm sure it is legal to do this. Is that your real question, or are you interested in finding out what can be done about it now? Most states are very different about being able to expunge things off of records, so you should contact a criminal defense attorney in the state where the convictions occurred to see if it is possible.

licensed attorney in Montana. Your specific state laws may be different.

If you plead it and you were granted YO twice, there is nothing wrong with it. You should plead it if you are under 21 at the time of the offense. If the judge allowed it, it is not your fault.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

There is nothing illegal about it. These kinds of mistakes happen all of the time due to government efficiency, and your attorney did the right thing by taking advantage of it. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

You are entitled to apply for youthful offender as many times as you want. The law does not limit the number of times you can get youthful offender as long as you are under 21 at the time of the offense. Therefore, there is nothing for you to worry about. If the court granted it, then you have it. Whether to grant youthful offender is within the discretion of the sentencing judge. You did not nothing wrong by applying for and getting youthful offender twice.

Juvenile law topics