Is it legal to perpetually harass me ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bellmore, NY

I have been what i perceive to be a victim of harassment on personal levels by my supervisor at work on multi occasions . I have reported all the incidents to the CEO and comp controller and not much has been done to my knowledge

1. Vincent Peter White

1

Answered . The motivation for the harassment will be important. A simple personal issue will not have the same protections of law that discrimination, retaliation or sexual harassment might. That being said, I recommend you contact an employment attorney in your area to see what can be done to help you. Consultations should be free, why charge someone if you can't be sure if you can help them yet?

2. William G Blair

1

1

Answered . Harassment can have different legal meanings. If you are being treated adversely and differently than other employees because of your race, ethnic background, sex, religion or, in some states, sexual preference, then you may have a claim under the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964. Likewise if you are being sexually harassed (unwelcome and persistent advances, obscene comments of a sexual or suggestive nature about you, etc.). If you are being harassed because you have reported certain kinds of misconduct by your employer or supervisors, you may have what is called a "whistleblower" claim. And, finally, if the harassment is severe, pervasive and apparently intended to cause you such emotional distress that you will quit your job or otherwise submit to unfair and emotionally stressful working conditions, you may have a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress. I assume from lack of mention in your question that you are not a member of a bargaining unit represented by a union. If you are a union worker, contact your shop steward; if not, contact a lawyer familiar experienced in labor and employment law. Don't let it go on so long that it causes you more severe emotional damage.

One or more answers have been taken down.