Is it legal to order cyanide off the internet if I do not intend to harm myself or others with it?

Raleigh, NC |

I know of no laws restricting the ownership of cyanide, therefore, buying it on the Internet should be legal.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

North Carolina does have an interesting and very generalized "weapons of mass destruction" law that they have used in the past against people possessing cyanide along with certain other materials at the same time.

Caution is definitely warranted and I'd suggest you consult with a local attorney to ensure your intended use and possession does not trigger any potential violations of NC state or local law.

This is a generalized answer and does not create an attorney-client relationship nor constitute legal advice. To receive appropriate legal advice to meet your specific needs, the retainer of an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction is recommended.

Andrew Mark Jaffe

Andrew Mark Jaffe

Your caution paragraph above is very good advice.

Please consult with a lawyer in your state, preferably one within driving distance of your home. I think you should refrain from ordering anything like this (I would say the same thing for any chemical), UNTIL you have talk to a criminal defense attorney. You do not want to risk committing a potentially very serious offense. Many lawyers offer free consultations, so you may be able to find an answer without having to spend any money.

This is not legal advice: it is intended to be used for general informational or educational purposes only. For a free case evaluation, visit FairfaxCountyCriminalDefense.com.

At least for now, everyone seems to be convinced that the NSA is listening to every call and watching all of our online clicks. Ordering cyanide without being able to articulate a proper, not lethal use of it, would raise those red flags...as was mentioned consult an attorney.

Recommended articles about Business