Is it legal to make such training and employment contract?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dayton, OR

One IT consultancy first offered me free training + transportation + accommodation. After training stared they signed contract that If I fail to complete their training or terminates their offered employment, they will reimburse all investment through court. Now they are saying if I fail on their training exam I need to return back all their investment. I want to ask legally is it OK to make such contract ? Do I need to accept their demand?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . Not an immigration question.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

1

Answered . This isn't an immigration question ... even if they are seeking reimbursement for the money they spent on your visa.

You would need to show this contract to an employment lawyer.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

4

Answered . Some of these contracts are probably unenforceable, but many could be. You should consult with an employment attorney in your state to discuss this contract.

4. Reid A Seino

2

Answered . Since we have not seen the contract, it's hard to say whether the contract itself is enforceable in court. Generally, a company has to have the terms and conditions spelled out prior to the employee signing the paper. Any changes that come afterwards must also be signed by the employee after giving the employee the opportunity to review and understand the new terms. If they make it a requirement to maintain employment, they can release the employee if the employee refuses to accept the new term. However, the company cannot then impose a fine or fee on the employee.

Take your employment contract to an attorney in your area and see what they recommend.