Is it legal to make no more than $400 cash per year while receiving public welfare but not reporting it to welfare office.

Asked 6 months ago - Philadelphia, PA

I guess I'm self employed, I babysit every once in a while for my cousin and he pays me $50-$100 each time depending on how many kids and hours I have them. Would I have my cousin fill out a 1099 for me??? Will Public Assistance discontinue my cash, food and medical benefits?

1. Kelvin P. Green

1

Answered . As in previous you need to report this. If it is fairly regular they can anticipate it in your benefits. It's not the yearly amount that makes a difference but the anticipated monthly amount that counts. Rarely is it a dollar for dollar reduction.

2. Stephanie O Joy

Answered . Generally, a 1099 is only generated if one makes more than $600/year. If public assistance finds out in other ways, that you are earning and not reporting, they may not trust your statement that is it sporadic and less than $400/year. As such, I strongly urge you to follow the rules, report the occasional income, and see where the chips fall. They shouldn't cancel anything, since your income likely does not breach any threshold - but if you don't report, it may be easy to believe you are making far more, else why hide it? Be clear with them that it is only once in a blue moon.

3. Jack Justin Adams

Pro

Answered . You must report the income. It is not optional and can be criminal.