Is it legal to make and sell candles with NFL team colors without mentioning the team by name?

Asked about 1 year ago - Waunakee, WI

I'm starting a business selling carved candles and a lot of people liked the green and yellow candles I made representing the Green Bay Packers. But before I put them on my website, I need to know if that would fall under infringement laws even if I don't mention the team by name.

1. Maxwell Charles Livingston

Pro

2

Answered . For colors alone? That seems unlikely. That is, we're talking about a mix of green and yellow. If that were an infringement with respect to the Packers, it would also be an infringement with respect to the Oakland A's... If there are identifying marks, that's different. An Attorney would need to review to provide a more precise answer.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

Answered . Talk to an intellectual property attorney about this. There are plenty of stories out there about professional sports leagues coming down hard on people that dance close to that line.

3. Mark Raafat Malek

Answered . Unlike most of the other questions about using the NFL related trademarks, you are merely seeking to use the same colors that NFL teams use. So long as you do not mention the Green Bay Packers, the NFL, or any of their teams, then you should be okay. Definitely run it by an intellectual property attorney prior to posting them on your website.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.