Is it legal to make a male employee to pull his hair back and not a women in the state of New York.

Callicoon, NY |
Filed under: Employee rights

I am being written up for not pulling my hair back based solely on the fact that I am a male.

Why are they asking you pull your hair back? Is it for sanitary reasons? Do you work in a restaurant, hospital, etc.? Are you a union member? Does the employer have a policy that applies to all males with long hair? We need more information.

If you work in food service, I believe everyone must have their hair pulled back.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Recommended articles about Employment