Is it legal to leave a 15 year old home alone for 1 week with no adults?

Brooklyn, NY |

I am asking if it's legal and nothing more.

1. Assuming there is no reason to suspect the 15 year old is unable to care for himself than it's ok.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)
    www.GreenbergMerola.com

2. I think it is illegal. The parent or guardian could expose themselves to a criminal charge of endangering the welfare of a child and I suppose a civil action for neglect.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and is provided for informational purposes only as I am not your attorney and you are not my client. Should you wish to obtain legal advice, you may contact my office at (212) 689-4343. This is attorney advertising.

3. I don't think there is a black and white answer to that question. It would depend upon the maturity of the individual 15 year old and the circumstances in which they were left home alone.