Is it legal to keep a customer's credit card number in files?

Cincinnati, OH |

Wondering if there is a legal position in keeping written record of customer's credit cards on file.

1. I am not licensed to practice law in your state.

These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

You gave the number willingly, but they have a duty to take reasonable steps to keep the info safe. However, you can't sue if the info is lost or stolen unless you actually suffer monetary damage from the use of the info.

2. I am not licensed to practice law in your state.