Is it legal to fire me because my partner quit?

Flushing, NY |

I worked at an appliances company in Brooklyn, New York since may 12 2013 till now. At first i didn't work with a partner. They placed me with a partner who had 7 yrs with the company. However, my partner quit because his sister in law won the lottery. He gave a 2 week notice. After, the 2 weeks were up. My partner left on 6/28/13 and they fired me on Monday 7/1/13 because my partner quit and the owner stated that he does not have anymore placement within the company for me. Therefore, I was let go. What can i do? I am a desperate father looking for answers. Thank you

1. NY is an employment at will state. You can be fired without a reason unless it is discrimination or you have an employment contract. Apply for unemployment.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. Employers generally have a great deal of discretion to manage their work force, particularly in an "at will" employment state like New York. For example, your employer is free to terminate your employment because of lack work. I wish that I had better news. Good luck.

My answers to questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information only, and are not intended to be legal advice. Employment law issues typically require a careful case-by-case analysis. Consequently, if you feel that you need legal advice, I would encourage you to consult in person with an employment attorney in your area.

3. Assuming you had no contract or union protection you were an at-will employee and could be fired for any reason or no reason. ... just not an illegal reason such as based on gender, religion, etc.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. You have no legal rights expect to apply for unemployment benefits.