Is it legal to fire an employee for no reason?

San Francisco, CA |

I bartend, and started working at a new lounge that opened up. Then owner saw how much tips I was making and kept complaining that I make more money then him, after a few complains he told me that he loves how I work but they are going to cut me off the scheduel because they would rather have the manager or maybe him bartend during my shift. Is this legal? It sure is not fair.

Absolutely. It is unfair, but it is legal.

The definition of an at will employee is that he or she can be terminated for any reason, or for no reason, as long as the reason is not unlawful. An unlawful reason would be because the employee is a member of a protected class of people, or because the employee had engaged in legally-protected conduct.

Sorry you lost your job. Good luck you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

This isn't a case of being fired for no reason. It is a case of being fired with no cause, or no good reason. And as such it is very unjust and unfair, but not unlawful.

Of course, as anyone with relevant experience knows, the ability to earn large tips in bartending has everything to do with the personal skill of the employee. Your manager or owner may find that they are not nearly so successful in that particular measure of skill and you may be invited back after a while. If so, use your bargaining power effectively and creatively.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Michael Robert Kirschbaum

Michael Robert Kirschbaum

Anyone can serve drinks but few have the skill to be a true bartender. Good bartenders bring customers back and are tipped well. So I've been told.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes