Is it legal to file as head of household if I am married?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Bernardino, CA

Now I know that I can only file as Married Separate or jointly, but my wife is an alien non resident, we also have a 2 month old daughter. I was told by the tax consultant I can use my wife as a dependent and file as head of household. I was not aware until I researched that it might be accurate. My wife also made less that 800 for the whole year I don't like to work since it is to much a risk. She is going to college and applying for the dream act financial aid and I am not sure if me filing this way may affect her. If I did not file correctly I don't want to go spending money that is not legally mine. any advice will help.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Answered . This is not an immigration question.

2. J Charles Ferrari

5

Answered . You need to consult a CPA or a tax attorney.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

6

Answered . You should ask the IRS or a tax attorney.

4. Dana Whitney Atchley

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . If your wife is a nonresident alien, then you could elect to treat her as a resident alien for the entire year and you could then file a joint return with her. You may also be able to file as head of household if you otherwise meet the requirements for head of household status. Determining whether you qualify for head of household status depends on a lot of different facts, so you really should consult with a competent local tax professional in order to determine what your best course of action is.