Skip to main content

Is it legal to enhance someone supervisor, manager, leadership enhancement points?

Jacksonville, FL |

The government enhanced point to someone sentence for supervisor role after they found all the co-defendants had no affiliation except for 2 and one of them told the government they carried out the Scheme alone and all the other person did was lie to a government agent to protect the other person and withdrew illicit funds from a bank account. Is it possible for those enhancement points to stick if they did everything?

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Presuming you are the person facing the enhanced charges, I recommend you speak with the attorney who defended you to determine your rights and options. Generally, prosecution of a federal case is well-grounded in evidence.

    The answers provided in this forum by me and transmitted by users of this forum are not to be considered legally binding in any way, nor is there an intent to form an attorney client relationship. If further information is required, seek competent legal counsel.

  2. Yes. It is possible.

    Those points are "assigned" by probation, not by the prosecutor (AUSA), but it is the Judge who has the final say as to what points are to be assessed / calculated in a given case. Further, before the Judge makes such a decision the defense is free to challenge the points by filing "exceptions to the PSI", to which Probation must respond, and to which the government is also free to reply, and which are ultimately settled by the Court at a sentencing hearing.

    The exceptions require a detailed analysis of the facts and circumstances of the case, as well a painstaking review of the PSI. The only person competent to offer advise as to whether or not your particular "role enhancement" is valid is the criminal defense lawyer who worked the case up to PSI preparation.

    My advise: Sit down with your lawyer, and only your lawyer, and have a responsible discussion about your case.

    I hope that I have been helpful in answering your question.

    First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

  3. It depends on the facts whether a manager enhancement is warranted, but under the law, you only need to supervise one other person to get points for being a manager. This is an issue that can be appealed..

    This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.

  4. Yes, it is certainly possible. If the points aren't part of your plea, hwoevre, you can object to them in both the PSR and at sentencing.

  5. You must fight such an enhancement vehemently by your own evidence at sentencing.

  6. Probation makes the report/recommendation as to the guideline score calculation, including any enhancements. Yes, it is legal for them to do so. Certainly, probation taking this particular stand on the issue is unfortunate, but not the end of the inquiry. They are offering their "take" on that calculation and there is a procedure for the defense to object. Furthermore, once this information is presented to the judge, argument follows and it is ultimately the judge who takes all factors into final consideration and uses it to synthesize a sentence that is sufficient to accomplish the stated goals of sentencing without being unduly harsh or disparate.
    As an aside, factual information specific to the case should not be made online, as a general rule, particularly while the issue is "live." Accurate responses to the question do not require such facts in any event, so please refrain from doing so in the future. Good luck.

    The above is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice nor makes you a client of the Mosca Law Firm, PA. Please consult with a lawyer in order to obtain confidential legal advice that is tailored to your specific situation and facts.

  7. The Government does not and cannot "enhance" anybody. Only the judge can make a binding guideline determination and only the judge can impose sentence. The Government's sentencing submissions, the defendant's sentencing submissions, and the PSR submitted by the probation officer are all recommendations to the judge, and nothing more. Your attorney will contest any enhancement proposed by the Government or by the PSR if it is arguably not warranted by the law and the facts of the case. The judge will decide.

  8. Other attorneys have provided good insights as to this question in this forum, and the bottom line is that defendants do have the right to object to any disputed sentencing guideline enhancements. The Pre-Sentence Investigation Report, and prosecutors, frequently argue for enhancements that are debatable, and defendants have the right to object and fight such enhancements, with the court ultimately deciding whether to apply them or not. Anyone facing a federal case should discuss all such disputes carefully with counsel, to determine how best to proceed. An enhancement could certainly be applied where the facts are in dispute, but an attorney would need to be familiar with all the specific facts, discovery, any plea agreement, and other aspects of the case to determine how best to proceed. Good luck to anyone facing a federal sentencing, and please work closely with retained or appointed counsel to achieve the best result; general information in a public forum is no substitute.

    The author provides answers on this site based on hypothetical questions and fact patterns. The answers provided are for general educational and informational purposes only, and they do not constitute legal advice, which would require a personal consultation and representation agreement. Questions and answers on this site do not create an attorney-client relationship, and the communications are not privileged. Any citizen with a legal issue should consult personally with an attorney and should rely only on legal advice provided in a formal attorney-client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics