Is it legal to do Stock trading on H1B? I

Sacramento, CA |

I heard long-term trading is legal , howver, short-term trading (day trading) I am not sure about. Can you please elaborate on both long -term and short term (day trading) trading ? I am currently on H1b and applied for green card (it is in the PERM stage).

1. There is no problem in engaging both long and short term trading for personal purposes.

Just try not to lose your shirt in the process, though!

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. As long as you are not engaged in gainful employment (i.e. been paid for doing the stock trade), you should be ok.