IS IT LEGAL TO CUT PAY WHEN YOUR EMPLOYER DECIDES TO MOVE YOU TO ANOTHER POSITION THAT WOULD REQUIRE A DIFFERENT PAYGRADE?

Asked almost 6 years ago - Fort Stockton, TX

I work for a major retail chain, that uses a
"paygrade" scale to hire and to place into certain positions. Right now I'm in a paygrade 3 but my employer wants to put me in a different position which would be a paygrade 1 which would mean I would have to take a 40 cent cut in pay. I have not requested to take another position, and I certainly do not wish to lose money. The reason I'm being moved is because my employer wants to put someone else in that position. I have always done my job and my reviews have been good. I have never been told that I was not doing my job as expected or "coached" for my job performance. Does my employer have the right to cut my pay if she decides she wants someone else in that position? can this be considered favoritism and unfair labor practice?

I understand the "at will" employment, but couldn't this be constued as discrimiation? I have been in this position for a year and a half and the person that is to be my replacement has been with the company less than a year. He doesn't have any more experience in this type of work than I do but my employer likes him and she doesn't like me, because she thinks that some of my friends are "questionable" . I have never done anything to have her question my
intrigrity, other than she has seen me talk to people she doesn't like or likes the way the dress.
All of my supervisors have always stood up for me, this is just her opinion, does she still have the right to do this? We have an open door policy at work but I know none of my supervisors will
go against her if that the decision that she makes. What kind of recourse would I have then?

1. Edgardo Rafael Baez

Answered . As you state the facts, I don't see any unfair labor practices; however, there are provisions of the law that you need to be familiar with, such as "at will employment." In Texas, at will employment laws would cover the conduct of your employer, as well as yours. You are always at liberty to quit the job!