Skip to main content

Is it legal to claim my mom as my dependent?

Saint Paul, MN |
Filed under: Tax law

i'm an immigrant who works full time and part time school and i'm single. Since i am single, i put "0" under allowance but the thing is i'm taking care of my mom who isn't in the U.S. and also my sisters. I do not get any kind of subsidies like food stamp, housing etc from the government, and i'm wondering if it is legal to put at least "1" under my allowances since i'm helping my mom. I really need the money but I don't want to do something illegal - if it is. Please help. I need legal advice on this. Thank you for reading and answering my question.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Hello. I suggest you read the instructions, and phone a private attorney or tax accountant if you need further help or otherwise don't understand the instructions. Some attorneys, myself included, are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Some attorneys, myself included, will confer for free, at no charge: Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for need. All the best.

    Tricia Dwyer, Esq., Tax Law, Immigration Law, Rule 14 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Parenting Time Expeditor, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See

  2. go to this IRS web link and you will see a way to get yor question answered.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.

  3. There are specific requirements to claim a dependent, including your mother. Some of which include providing at least 50% of her support and her living with you. There are several nuances that also may apply so best to consult a tax professional or get the info from the IRS as noted above.

    Good luck.

    Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.