Is it legal to buy a domain and republish a website?

El Cerrito, CA |

I recently discovered that somebody in Eastern Europe has bought a domain name I used to own and partially republished my old personal website that was connected to it (presumably pulling source HTML and image files from the Internet Archive). This site includes a current e-mail address and outdated information that I no longer need/want published as I now have a new website & domain for this purpose. Is this some kind of scam and is there legally anything I can do to have it removed?

You may have the ability to have the new website taken down through submitting a copyright infringement notice to the Internet Service Provider (ISP) hosting the new site. An ISP takedown is a relatively inexpensive, quick and effective means to takedown a website hosting infringing content. If the new site used your old site's content with permission, you may qualify for this protection.

However, utilizing an ISP takedown depends on: (1) whether the content on your old site qualifies for copyright protection; (2) which country or countries the ISP is subject to jurisdiction; and (3) whether the country or countries where the ISP is subject to jurisdiction maintain ISP takedown systems.

If an ISP takedown is unavailable, you may also be able to seek a judicial injunction against the new site, however this is a more prolonged and expensive process, especially if done abroad.

To help you analyze whether you may submit a ISP takedown and whether you should do so, you should seek a qualified IP attorney to assist you.

Lucas Seth Michels

Lucas Seth Michels

I meant "without" permission in first paragraph. Apologies.

Concur with Mr. Michels. Through the DMCA the ISP, once receives an infringement notice, must remove certain materials from the user's website. Please consult with an Internet or IP attorney. Best,

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

This is a very serious issue. Specifically since the republishing of your site was from an eastern european county.
There are many fraudulent schemes that start with the described republishing of your site BY A third party.
What to do? There are specific legal steps you must take first to protect yourself and then to take down the site.
Depends from specific factor that you need to discuss with an attorney that knows fraud,internet and international law.
Some of us in avvo like me we are fraud examiners (CFE's) and international lawyers that handle issues like yours

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.

International law topics

Recommended articles about International law