Is it legal to be laid off while you are injured?

Asked over 2 years ago - Malibu, CA

i was in an accident and my boss laid me off. she said that i wouldn't be able to do my tasks which was working the front desk of an office.

the injury did not happen on the job

i had been working there for 6 months

it is a physical therapy office with 4 employees including the owner who is one of the therapists.

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

2

Answered . Sadly, if you worked for an employer with less than 5 employees, you would not be protected under the Fair Employment and Housing Act or the FMLA or California Family Rights Act, which only apply to companies with more than 50 employees. There is no duty to accommodate persons with disabilities who work for such small employers.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . Yes, it unfortunately is legal if there are only 4 employees. An employer with less than 5 employees doesn't have the duty to provide reasonable accommodations to injured persons.

3. James Frederick Rumm

1

Answered . The answer really depends on if you were able to continue performing your job duties during the time period. Based upon the small office and lack of on the job injury, it is possible that your boss would not be liable for laying you off. However, if you were able to work and trying to work, then you may have a claim.