Is it legal my borrower signed a Promissory Note with Blue Ink, and I was there when he signed it?

Portland, OR |

The borrower was with Notary Public. I am in Oregon.

In the early days of photocopiers, there used to be a requirement to sign in black ink so that the signatures would copy clearly. Thus, black ink was required by the technology and not by the law. There is no legal requirement that a signature be in any particular color - your borrower could sign with a purple crayon for all that it matters.

If your borrower signed the note - whether in blue or any other color of the rainbow - the note is enforceable (unless it is defective for some other reason).

Personally, I prefer to have clients sign in blue ink so that I can easily tell the original document from the copy.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

So you were there when someone signed a notarized document and you want to know if that is legal? Yes, that is legal. Unless for some insane reason the contract stated that it cannot be signed in blue ink, that is irrelevant.

To determine if a contract is binding and enforceable takes review of the contract terms and relevant facts. The color of the ink is not normally remotely relevant. Speak with a local attorney for advice.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

The color of ink used to sign a contract does not affect whether it is binding or enforceable.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

Blue ink, purple crayon, and even blood can be used to sign Oregon contracts. The substance and color don't matter.

Portland Defender
1001 Southwest 5th Avenue #1100
Portland, OR 97204
(503) 592-0606

Business topics