Is it legal my borrower signed a Promissory Note with Blue Ink, and I was there when he signed it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

The borrower was with Notary Public. I am in Oregon.

1. Michael T Millar

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . In the early days of photocopiers, there used to be a requirement to sign in black ink so that the signatures would copy clearly. Thus, black ink was required by the technology and not by the law. There is no legal requirement that a signature be in any particular color - your borrower could sign with a purple crayon for all that it matters.

If your borrower signed the note - whether in blue or any other color of the rainbow - the note is enforceable (unless it is defective for some other reason).

Personally, I prefer to have clients sign in blue ink so that I can easily tell the original document from the copy.

2. Jay Bodzin

2

Answered . The color of ink used to sign a contract does not affect whether it is binding or enforceable.

Please read the following notice:

3. Troy Austin Pickard

1

Answered . Blue ink, purple crayon, and even blood can be used to sign Oregon contracts. The substance and color don't matter.

Portland Defender
    1001 Southwest 5th Avenue #1100
    Portland, OR 97204
    (503) 592-0606

4. Robert John Murillo

2

Answered . So you were there when someone signed a notarized document and you want to know if that is legal? Yes, that is legal. Unless for some insane reason the contract stated that it cannot be signed in blue ink, that is irrelevant.

To determine if a contract is binding and enforceable takes review of the contract terms and relevant facts. The color of the ink is not normally remotely relevant. Speak with a local attorney for advice.