Is it legal in Texas for when I go to a chiropractor they told me I need an attorney and told me to go to a specific one?

Asked 12 months ago - Houston, TX

I was injured in an auto accident and went to a chiropractor. That chiropractor told me about an attorney and that I should go to that office because I needed an attorney.

1. Daniel David Horowitz III

14

Answered . It's not illegal for someone to recommend someone else. It is illegal if the chiropractor is getting a financial benefit (besides the cost of your treatment) from the referral.

Who was the chiropractor and attorney?

2. Brian Heath Crockett

Pro

11

1

Answered . A chiropractor is not allowed to refer patients to a lawyer. That being said, this may be a misunderstanding. If you went to the chiropractor and advised the chiropractor you were in an auto accident and the other driver is at fault and you want the chiropractor to wait around to get paid pending your case, the only real way to protect him is if there is a letter of protection signed by an attorney with that office. The doctor may have given you the name of who he thoughts was a good lawyer. With that in mind, if you feel like you are being pushed to a lawyer as opposed to the above - you probably don't want to see that Chiro again. Good luck to you.

3. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

10

1

Answered . That could actually be an illegal act of barratry by having an attorney use chiropractrors and then they refer to attorneys to receive a benefit. This is why I tell my clients to avoid using chiropractors and go to real doctors, like orthopedic surgeons who go to real medical schools and have over a decade of training after college.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

11

1

Answered . Interesting post -- the chiro cannot make you choose any legal counsel. The fact that he or she suggested using a particular attorney can subject the attorney to discipline, but there are many more facts that need to be developed. If you are uncomfortable with the situation, find a new provider!!

5. Daragh John Carter

9

Answered . I agree with Daniel Horowitz. There's nothing wrong with a chiropractor recommending a particular attorney because the chiropractor thinks that attorney does a good job. However, the chiropractor should then leave the decision to the patient as to whether they contact the attorney, versus the chiropractor having the attorney contact the patient uninvited. You don't specify how you found the chiropractor: hopefully they didn't solicit you after your accident.

Pro

10

Answered . It is very suspect and shady, as there could be a kickback situation going on.

7. Daryl L. Derryberry

Pro

7

Answered . You should consider whether the chiropractor is receving financial considertion for "referring" you to this attorney. If this is the case, then that is not legal. I suggest you find an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and consult with him/her about your case. Retaining an experienced specialist in personal injury trial law typically results in a more favorable resolution of your personal injury claims. You can typically consult with such an attorney for free initially. Good luck. www.urhurt.com

8. William Henry Stout

6

Answered . This type of referral is not appropriate and you should not listen to such person's advice. It would be helpful to know the name of the chiropractor and the attorney.

Sent from my iPad

9. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Horowitz. I would like to know some additional facts. For instance, did you suggest that you were wondering what to do. Was the Chiropractor pushy or insistent? Certainly it is is not legal for the Chiropractor to receive a kick back. However, you have no proof of that.