Is it legal in Texas for when I go to a chiropractor they told me I need an attorney and told me to go to a specific one?

Houston, TX |

I was injured in an auto accident and went to a chiropractor. That chiropractor told me about an attorney and that I should go to that office because I needed an attorney.

1. It's not illegal for someone to recommend someone else. It is illegal if the chiropractor is getting a financial benefit (besides the cost of your treatment) from the referral.

Who was the chiropractor and attorney?

2. Interesting post -- the chiro cannot make you choose any legal counsel. The fact that he or she suggested using a particular attorney can subject the attorney to discipline, but there are many more facts that need to be developed. If you are uncomfortable with the situation, find a new provider!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

3. A chiropractor is not allowed to refer patients to a lawyer. That being said, this may be a misunderstanding. If you went to the chiropractor and advised the chiropractor you were in an auto accident and the other driver is at fault and you want the chiropractor to wait around to get paid pending your case, the only real way to protect him is if there is a letter of protection signed by an attorney with that office. The doctor may have given you the name of who he thoughts was a good lawyer. With that in mind, if you feel like you are being pushed to a lawyer as opposed to the above - you probably don't want to see that Chiro again. Good luck to you.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.

4. It is very suspect and shady, as there could be a kickback situation going on.

5. That could actually be an illegal act of barratry by having an attorney use chiropractrors and then they refer to attorneys to receive a benefit. This is why I tell my clients to avoid using chiropractors and go to real doctors, like orthopedic surgeons who go to real medical schools and have over a decade of training after college.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

6. I agree with Daniel Horowitz. There's nothing wrong with a chiropractor recommending a particular attorney because the chiropractor thinks that attorney does a good job. However, the chiropractor should then leave the decision to the patient as to whether they contact the attorney, versus the chiropractor having the attorney contact the patient uninvited. You don't specify how you found the chiropractor: hopefully they didn't solicit you after your accident.

7. You should consider whether the chiropractor is receving financial considertion for "referring" you to this attorney. If this is the case, then that is not legal. I suggest you find an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and consult with him/her about your case. Retaining an experienced specialist in personal injury trial law typically results in a more favorable resolution of your personal injury claims. You can typically consult with such an attorney for free initially. Good luck. www.urhurt.com

By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.

8. This type of referral is not appropriate and you should not listen to such person's advice. It would be helpful to know the name of the chiropractor and the attorney.

Sent from my iPad

9. I agree with Mr. Horowitz. I would like to know some additional facts. For instance, did you suggest that you were wondering what to do. Was the Chiropractor pushy or insistent? Certainly it is is not legal for the Chiropractor to receive a kick back. However, you have no proof of that.