Is it legal in NYS for Planet Fitness to only accept one form of payment monthly deductions by contract from your Checking Acct

12534 |

Is it legal in the state of New York for Planet Fitness to only have one form of payment for their Black Membership, were you must have a CHECKING ACCOUNT for them to deduct your monthly payments each month under their written contract? There is NO other option of payment for this membership. No payment in full with cash, credit card or by using a check, and no payment plan deductions using your credit card. Planet Fitness is a franchise all over the US, and the corp. office is located in Newington NH supports this policy.

Yes, they're free to restrict payment options if they want, although it's a weird policy if it excludes customers without checking accounts.

If you haven't got a checking account or are unwilling to use it for this, you might try speaking to the gym manager to see if you can work something else out.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

It is not illegal. They can structure it any way they want. Maybe it is just not your planet, as they say.

Business topics