Is it legal in NY to rent rooms of a house zoned as a single family dwelling, using an enforceable lease?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Albany, NY

My landlord owns a house zoned as a single family dwelling and is renting out 4 of the bedrooms by 6 month leases. Is this legal to do and if so is the lease enforceable? What tenant rights exist or sctions of the law apply to this situation? Where might I research more about these laws?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Steven Warren Smollens

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Dear is this legal?

    Not likely in Albany (City and County).

    Check with the Albany City offices listed here regarding gaining an inspection of your house for compliance with the certificate of occupancy:

    The renting out may not be allowed by the certificate of occupancy, but the lease may still be valid. Other than the parties to the lease deciding to terminate the contract, only a court may invalidate a lease. However, a lease or contract that is made in violation of local or state law, may not be enforced in a court case involving a dispute with that lease.

    If the occupancy is not legal, by reason of a violation of the certificate of occupancy, a vacate order might be issued that would force all persons out of the house who are not related to the home owner.

    If you intend to disturb the hornets' nest, you should protect yourself with a local attorney.

    Good luck.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should... more
  2. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on the certificate of occupancy that the owner has. If there is a C of O that allows it fine, if not it is not legal. Landlord will have a hard time enforcing a lease that he entered into without having the proper C of O. Speak with local experienced tenant's lawyer for more advice.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  3. Byron David Flagg

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The other attorneys are right on. Check the ordinances of the city this property is located in. It's possible that the landlord is violating local landlord occupancy rules and /or zoning codes. If this is the case, a complaint may be made to your code enforcement board in the city.

    My answers on are intended to help clarify the legal process in your situation to the extent possible on... more

Related Topics

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Real estate zoning laws

Zoning laws are rules that limit how a particular property may be used. For example, as single-family homes, multi-family buildings, commercial, or industry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,838 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,838 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering