Is it legal in California to sell medicine which should be exported to other country?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fremont, CA

I bought 15 bottles of USANA Active Calcium for my parents from amozon.com, 3rd party vendor, found 4 of them were labeled as "Imported by USANA xxx SINGAPORE LTD". It's obviously products that should be exported to Singapore. And their Supplement Facts are different from those of US products, at least 3 elements were dismissed. In other words, it's obviously inferior than the US products. Is it legal to sell medicine like this in California? Is it a fraud to sell such 4 inferior bottles together with the rest 11 bottles?

1. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

1

Best Answer

Answered . Calcium is considered a vitamin or supplement. It is available over the counter, so it is most likely legal for sale as you describe. Whether the products you purchased are legal for sale in the U.S. would require someone to review the product, labeling, etc.
    You could try contacting the FDA.

2. Robin Mashal

1

1

Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Based on your description, I am not clear if the "medicine" you are referring to is a pharmaceutical drug, or something else. Also, the fact that it was imported by a foreign company does not necessarily mean it is not proper for US sale. Why don't you contact the seller and ask them to answer your questions.

3. John Noah Kitta

1

1

Answered . Perhaps, you should contact the United States Food & Drug Administration and make inquiry.

I hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta
    Fremont