Is it legal if someone takes a elderly person with Alzheimer's & completely changes their will?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Luis Obispo, CA

two people took this person out of state,spent all of her savings(bought themselves a house etc) and completely changed her will as to where they inherit everything when they previously were to receive nothing.The elderly person had stated to her attorney(whom the two individuals fired) that she did not want these two people to have any control over her estate

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 15

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is not legal and the parties may be subject to civil and criminal penalities. Elder abuse is a serious problem in our society. Call an attorney and discuss your options.

    Marcus W. Morales, Esq.
    Law Offices of Marcus W. Morales
    115 W. Mission Street
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
    (805) 845-5405

    All content posted on and is for educational purposes only and should not be relied... more
  2. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact an attorney right away, this may be elder abuse and fiduciary abuse and potential for intention interference with an expected inheritance.

    I wish you the best of luck.

    Ian A. Scharg
    Law Offices of Mark A. Redmond
    555 Capitol Mall, Ste 770
    Sacramento, CA 95814

    Financial and Physical Elder Abuse. Fraud Class Actions.
    Serving all of California

    This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This is not legal advice, it is... more
  3. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should contact a qualified Attorney right away. What you describe sounds like elder abuse. Many issues arise from your statement of facts. A thorough analysis of the facts with skilled counsel is definitely needed.

    The communication above is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advise and does not create... more
  4. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Even a person with Alzheimer's MAY have the testamentary capacity to make a Will, however if this person is able to make a Will, this still sounds like a case of undue influence. If she had capacity to make the Will, and it wasn't too long ago, she can also revoke it. You can report this matter to Adult Protective Services who will investigate. It may become necessary to petition the court for a conservatorship.

  5. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The two most common ways to contest a will are undue influence and incompetence.
    Both of these might be present as well as Elder Abuse.
    You need to report this to police and discuss with an Elder law attorney.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Related Topics

Estate planning and power of attorney

A power of attorney is a legal document giving another person the right to act on your behalf in various situations, within the limits set out by the document.


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the front door open, look in the Calendar... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,307 answers this week

3,759 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,307 answers this week

3,759 attorneys answering