Is it legal for your employer to have you sign a contract for side work on his house and when the employee has finished.........

Asked over 1 year ago - Bellingham, WA

they only pay him $600.00 of the $1100.00 that was on the original contract and they give him a totally different contract that says something about gas money he owed them for. Which the employee never did owe .! That's $500.00 unaccounted for. What can the employee do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christopher William Pirnke

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I would agree that is sounds like this is unrelated to your employment. You mention an original contract. Was this contract in writing or was it an oral contract. Was the totally different contract signed by both parties. I would say generally this issues passes outside of employment unless the employer somehow made the sidework a condition of employment. I would recommend the smalls claims court. No attorney needed if you do that.

  2. Joseph Charles Shoemaker

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is probably not an employment law issue. it sounds like what you have is a breach of contract. You can sue for breach whether the breach is by your employer or some third party. It is possible that you may be able to make some sort of a wage claim based upon the fact that your employer asked you to perform these services, but the fact that you have a contract for this work probably will work against you in that regard.

    Speak with a Washington employment or general civil litigation attorney.

  3. Shawn B Alexander


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with both previous answers and you could file a complaint with L&I or go to small claims court. But you will have to prove the case and explain the facts much more clearly and show the evidence of what you claim.
    Good Luck

    If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Please be sure to indicate the best answer Only If and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,840 answers this week

3,241 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,840 answers this week

3,241 attorneys answering