Is it legal for two jurors to try a case and be good friends with the judge?

Wichita Falls, TX |

The judge in his closing statement mentioned his friendship with two of the jurors assuring that he felt they would be fair.

1. Talk to your lawyer. With a lawyer representing you, I can't ethically give you any advice.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

2. Unless there is more to this story, there is nothing wrong with two jurors who know the judge being on the jury. More facts might give a different result.

3. If you have a lawyer, then you should bring up your concerns with your lawyer.

4. Yes. If it were not legal, it would be virtually impossible to empanel a jury in counties with small populations where everyone knows everyone else. Friendships between a juror and the judge, a juror and one or more of the lawyers, or even between a juror and one of the parties, standing alone, are not grounds for disqualifying a member of the venire from being seated on the jury or for disqualifying a juror who has already been seated on the jury.

The above said, if you have a lawyer, you should definitely ask him or her this question.