Is it legal for the Police not to give me a copy of a police report or tell me the names of the officers in the report?

Asked 8 months ago - Bakersfield, CA

3 Officers came to my house and took my truck & released it 2 days later to my abusive husband. The truck is registered in my roommate & my name. The tow company gave me a copy of the receipt to who they released the truck to with note where the tow company received a call from the police stating they made a mistake on the impound & to release the truck with ID only to my husband. I went down to the police station to get a copy of the report & was told they couldn't give me a copy of the report because I'm not the victim, but I believe different. I asked then if they could at lease give me the names of the 3 officers that came out to my house that day. I was told they can not & the case was closed & asked me to leave. Is that legal? How can I get a copy of the report or officers names?

1. Malosack Berjis

1

Best Answer

Answered . One way you can try to obtain such information is by submitting a Public Records Act Request, pursuant to the California Public Records Act, to the subject agency/entity. Below is a link to a sample letter.

Pro

2

1

Answered . Have a local lawyer file replevin action

3. Thomas J. Wagner

1

1

Answered . I am at a loss at how the police can take a vehicle registered in your name and not your husband's name (presumably titled the same way) and then return it to someone who is not the owner, and claim that you are not entitled to get a copy of the report. Under the facts as I understand it they have committed a theft of your vehicle, unless it is titled in your husband's name and somehow registered in your name. You should spend some money to buy an hour of an attorney's time to see if the attorney can get to the bottom of this and get your truck back.