Is it legal for someone to take your email address and sign you up on an internet site without your permission?

Atlanta, GA |

Someone I know who has my email address used my email address and signed me up on an airline internet site. I never signed myself up, and this person and I have been discussing airlines. I addressed this with him, but he never responded.

If Georgia or federal law has been amended to include this sole act, without more as to "criminal intent" or other "improper purpose", as "unlawful" I have not researched. If it is part of a spamming effort, stalking issue, credit card fraud or similar act, it may be a factor to be considered. That said, the act is probably a violation of the TOS for the website. But let's be practical for a minute. Its unlikely anyone is going to prosecute this alone as a criminal act, it's unlikely to have caused you any damages (other than perhaps a minor nuisance of hitting the delete button in your email box). My suggestion would be to have your information deleted from the website and if this person is a friend, you may want to indicate your displeasure or drop them as a friend.

Disclosure: This answer and any information contained in this answer is not intended to be treated as legal advice. It is for informational purposes to educate about legal issues. You should contact an attorney for specific legal advice for your situation. Specific legal advice based on full knowledge of your specific situation and all facts may differ from general information. This posting does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege of any kind. This attorney actively licensed only in the State of Georgia. If this is a Georgia matter, you may of course contact me to discuss possible representation. FEEDBACK: Both AVVO and other readers are interested in your feedback on the quality of the answers. Please check the “thumbs up” symbol if you find an answer helpful.

Scott E. Chapman

Scott E. Chapman

This is a very excellent and practical answer. I would follow this advice

They have pretended to be you when they signed you up, and that is likely a crime or fraud. As noted here, no real damages, however. Before the Internet, people would send in the reply cards in junk mail to harass. An evil intent, but little to recover.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

Similar to what Kevin and Barry have stated, it is impractical to pursue. Though, the act itself is a form of identity theft. If done with malintent, and if pervasive, you should pursue it. Otherwise, just go to the website and delete your account.

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical evaluation, nor do the create a retention of counsel wherein an attorney-client relationship exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for educational purposes and public discourse only.

Civil rights topics