Skip to main content

Is it legal for police officers to break down your door without a search warrant?

Austin, TX |
Filed under: Police misconduct

just had three cops break into my husband fell outside our apartment, cut himself and then came through the door. I first thought he'd been attacked or something, so I hit 911 but hung up right after I hit the last 1 when he told me he'd fallen... He goes to the bathroom, I go to the bedroom in the back and put on my headphones to continue to listen to music...I hear this loud bang and three officers with tasers pointed at me come in. The officer who broke my door said it was justified because he'd noticed two dime sized drops of blood on the stairs....the stairs are about 5 feet from our door....we were pretty much quiet inside...I could understand if they had heard screaming or shouting...something alarming...but even our two small children were asleep, we were that quiet.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are circumstances where police may enter a dwelling without a warrant. A situation where they believe physical harm may be occurring is one such scenario. See a local attorney to discuss if the details of your situation (which were not posted) change whether police were justified in your particular situation.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Police misconduct topics

Recommended articles about Police misconduct

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer