Is it legal for people to post photos of you or an event you hosted with out your permission on the internet?

Rome, NY |
Filed under: Civil rights

Hello,

I was recently married, and as you would expect had many photos taken of me and the people in attendance. One person who attended the wedding had posed a large number of these (100+) on both myspace and facebook. I am rather uncomfortable with this many photos floating around of my wedding. Some of them are of this persons family who attended, as well as my self, new wife, etc. I have asked that they take them down, but doubt they will. Is there anything I can do?

1. The individual who took the photographs has a copyright on the photos. However, if the photographer takes pictures of an individual without their permission, that person's right to privacy has been violated. There are legal actions you can take, starting with sending them a cease and desist letter. If they still do not comply, then you can file a civil suit for violation of privacy rights and seek an injunction (i.e. a court order requiring that the photographer take the pictures down).

Civil rights topics