Is it legal for NY doctors to treat patients that come here from legal surrogacy law states to become surrogate ma for NY folks

New York, NY |

NY surrogacy law prohibits surrogacy contracts and are unenforceable. Many NY couples find surrogate mothers from other states that are friendly to surrogacy contracts and these woman come to NY doctors for medical treatment to become pregnant. These women then return to their own home states to give birth. Are these NY doctors legally allowed to do this to help these women to become pregnant / surrogate mothers? Is he violating any laws by doing this?

This should be a criminal law post not a medical malpractice post. Also, private individuals do not determine whether it is a crime. Speak with the police or DA. You lack standing to raise a med mal question, unless you are the patient.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Report it to the police and medical board.

I agree - report it to the OPD.

David B. Snyder, Esq.
6876 Buckley Road
Syracuse, NY 13212
Mr. Snyder is licensed to practice in New York and practices Medical Malpractice Plaintiff’s work in Syracuse; he cannot offer legal advice in other states. This answer is meant to be a public service and not an attempt to solicit business. Moreover, my answer cannot be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. Unless I am retained in a matter and have completed a full investigation of the underlying facts and law, I cannot give an opinion on which to rely. Furthermore, unless your matter concerns New York law, I am not licensed to practice or give specific legal advice in your state.

Recommended articles about Personal injury