Is it legal for my school to go through my cell phone?

Asked over 1 year ago - Coral Springs, FL

My school recently confiscated my phone because somebody had told them that I had a naked girl on my phone. My school's dean went through my phone with no warrant and it was not a life or death situation. Is this legal? Is he invading my constitutional rights? If this gets serious, can the evidence on my phone be used in court? Was it obtained illegally?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Private or public school? High school or college?

there are circumstances where it could be legal, others where it might be challengeable. No way to tell on the slim facts you provided. As a general rule Dean would not need a warrant. Nothing in your posts indicates your Constitutional rights were violated- but lots of details are missing.

If you are charged with a crime, stay off line and immediately hire a defense attorney.