Is it legal for my school to go through my cell phone?

Coral Springs, FL |

My school recently confiscated my phone because somebody had told them that I had a naked girl on my phone. My school's dean went through my phone with no warrant and it was not a life or death situation. Is this legal? Is he invading my constitutional rights? If this gets serious, can the evidence on my phone be used in court? Was it obtained illegally?

Private or public school? High school or college?

there are circumstances where it could be legal, others where it might be challengeable. No way to tell on the slim facts you provided. As a general rule Dean would not need a warrant. Nothing in your posts indicates your Constitutional rights were violated- but lots of details are missing.

If you are charged with a crime, stay off line and immediately hire a defense attorney.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights