Is it legal for my landlord just to show up at my house without notice?????

Asked about 1 year ago - Dayton, OH

I am a little behind on my rent and i let my landlord know the situation and gave him my new phone number in case he needs to contact me. well he came over to my house on a sunday afternoon, on fathers day unannounced asking about his rent. while he was standing outside he kept looking in my house and i feel like he invaded my privacy. i know i owe money but is it legal for him just to show up unexpected? if so, what can i do??

1. Celia R Reed

4

Answered . He can ring your doorbell but if he wants to come into the house for any reason, he needs to give appropriate written notice.

2. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

2

Answered . Just like almost anyone else he can come up and knock on the door and can talk to you. The fact that you owe him money doesn't matter. Think of the door to door salesman. They can come up knock and try to sell you something you don't want because the sidewalk and front door is almost like considered open to the public. If he wants to come in to your home he needs to give you notice as outlined by the lease.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    (937)510-6110 phone
    (937)867-4111 fax
    attycbeck@gmail.com
    www.becklawofficellc.com