Is it legal for my employer to request a doctor's note to prove I went to the Doctor?

Lawrence, MA |

We have extended illness benefits (sick time) but we can only use these benefits if we prove we went to the Doctor's in the form of a note from the Doctor. My Doctor says that my employer cannot request a Doctor's note because it violates the HIPPA laws. Is this true?

Your doctor may be correct. If you authorize your doctor to provide the note to your employer, there is no HIPPA violation. The employer's request sounds reasonable--how else to prove you are entitled to the benefits?

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Jay M. Wolman
D'Angelo & Hashem, LLC
Admitted to practice in MA, NY & DC

The information presented in this response is not intended to form an attorney-client relationship nor is the colloquy protected by an attorney-client privilege or work-product rule. The answer provided is based solely on the minimal facts presented in the inquiry and represents only a preliminary and hypothetical response and analysis. It is not to be considered as legal advice and is for information purposes only. If you wish specific legal advice and recommendations about your particular situation, contact an attorney to schedule a consultation. This is not intended to constitute legal advertising or solicitation, but rather to educate.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business