Is it legal for my Doctor to abruptly discontinue my amphetamine prescription (vyvanse), without tapering me?

Bradford, PA |

I've been on vyvanse, an amphetamine, a schedule 2 drug. I was out of town and she ordered a drug test and I was unable to take it. So she did not refill my prescription. Which put me in severe withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms from this drug can cause dangerous symptoms, even cardiac arrest. So, can she legally do this and put me in danger like that?
I'm a 15 year old male with ADHD, after it was not filled I was unable to be productive in school, grades fell from 90% to 50%.

1. Is it legal, probably. The real determination of whether it is malpractice is based on what other qualified, similarly trained physicians would have done in a similar situation. You would also have to show that you have some damages from her stopping the medication. If you believe that you can prove these things, consult with a medical malpractice attorney to dicuss in detail the facts of your potential case. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.