Is it legal for me to take a handgun registered in New York City to a shooting range in New York State.?

Brooklyn, NY |

I am one of the few few New York City residence who actually got the NYPD to approve a pistol permit. My permit is a premises permit which allows me to take my pistol to shooting ranges as well. My rifle permit defiantly allows me to take the rifle to any where in the state, does that go for pistol as well?

I had this issue many years ago in an upstate case. I believe you can do so but you have to being going directly to/from the range and the gun must be transported in a secure metal box. As I said, I have not looked at this issue in many years so I suggest you cnsult with the Police Department if you are planning to take the gun out of the City.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law