Is it legal for me to mock the lawyers answering questions on this site?

Alabama |

For example, by calling out lawyers who post stupid - or worse, harmful - answers only to bolster their "point" totals and climb the AVVO leaderboard? I would post a link beneath such an answer to a website where I liken that lawyer to a "pimp" and identify them by name. Legal?

1. The answer is that it is that it is legal to state your opinion, as long as that opinion is not "defamation". For the legal definition of defamation, you should probably hire a lawyer. This is not a site for free legal advice. For legal advice, you should get an attorney. As far as ethics or morality is concerned, comparing anybody to a "pimp" probably isn't right. But just like you, I have my own opinion. Good luck.

THE ABOVE ANSWER AND ANY SUPPLEMENTAL RESPONSES ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE OR ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED BY THIS OR ANY OTHER RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION. FOR LEGAL ADVICE, PLEASE CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.

2. You can certainly add your own comments to correct what you feel is wrong or harmful advice, or mark an answer as objectionable. However, "posting a link beneath such an answer to a website where I liken that lawyer to a "pimp" and identify them by name" is a not useful to the Avvo community and violates our terms of use - we'll delete any such answers we find. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

3. I don't practice in Alabama and I don't know the defamation laws in that state. And the defamation laws regarding the internet are evolving. BUT in California calling someone a "pimp" is accusing them of "moral turpitude" and would amount to "slander per se" - meaning that the person would not even need to prove harm to his/her reputation in order to successfully maintain a lawsuit for damages against you ... especially since acts of moral turpitude can be grounds (in California, at least) for an automatic revocation of an attorney's license to practice law.

Frankly, you might also have your questions flagged as "objectionable" and if enough of them were flagged, I presume Avvo has procedures to prevent you from being able to post anything to this website in the future.

So, I suggest that you think carefully about what you propose to do. For the record, I agree with you that there are many stupid lawyer responses on this website - it really rankles me when someone who clearly knows nothing about estate tax or estate planning decides to post answers in those areas. I have sent more than one of those individuals a private email telling them that they are giving out incorrect advice (in truth, it makes me feel better for a minute or two and then I feel like a jerk for doing it).

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

4. I know one thing for sure... it's pretty darn funny.

I don't see your use of the term "pimp" to be defamatory. I thought "Pimp my Avvo rating" was a reference to the MTV series "Pimp My Ride," where folks driving ratty old hoopties got the whole custom pimpmobile makeover, complete with 22 inch chrome dubs, a sick paint job and some bad ass audio equipment.

Some of lawyers who are always at the top of the Avvo leaderboards pad their Avvo ratings with worthless answers to questions all over the country. Unfortunately, some people looking for legal advice don't bother to read what an Avvo rating really means.

But I have to ask... am I a pimp for even responding to this post, with zero points still available, in a state where I'm not licensed to practice.