Is it legal for me to accept US domestic customers' payments for a foreign company, cash them, then transfer the $ to the UK?

West Bend, WI |

A UK based company approached me on Career Builder about being a financial representative for them...I would directly receive payments/checks from their US domestic customers, in my name, which I would need to cash to my personal account, to then transfer the money (minus my percentage) to them in the UK. Is this legal? They claim they will send me a 1099 for tax purposes and that this activity is completely legal. Is it? They do not ask me for any personal information such as bank account number, social security number, etc.

This sounds like a long-running scam where an entity asks an individual to cash illegitimate checks or money orders and send them the proceeds, less a percentage. When the checks eventually bounce, you'll be left to pay back your bank plus fees. You should be very careful and do extensive homework before accepting such a proposal. Chances are, it's a scam.

Mergers and acquisitions topics