Is it legal for HUD to re-sell a home, forclosed on, when it has additions that are "contrary" to hud saftey code.?

Asked over 1 year ago - Colorado Springs, CO

A n 16x16 addition is not free standing and relys on the homes roof and side for its support. and as well does a deck leading to rear of home entrance. Also a window was taken out of the wall and an double (french) door installed.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Great answer, as always, by Mr. Harkess. HUD is indeed allowed to resell the house. Any additions that are contrary to code should have been investigated and corrected prior to sale. The purchasers, depending, on the terms of the contract for ale may be able to ask for HUD to correct the code violations at HUD's expense or might have to correct the problems themselves.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  2. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If work was done on a house that did not meet code, that should have been addressed in the purchaser's inspection report. It is legal to sell a home that has items that do not meet the building code, but the new owner may be required by the city to correct these issues and should plan accordingly when determining the price he or she is willing to pay.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more

Related Topics

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,990 answers this week

3,369 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,990 answers this week

3,369 attorneys answering