Is it legal for an employer to take money from your check without your authorization?

Asked 10 months ago - Macon, GA

Money was stolen at the job 87.73 to be exact and it was said to have taken place on my shift. Well the person who took the money admitted to me what they had did and asked me to take responsibility for it. I refused and immediately told my supervisor. At that time nothing was done about the situation. The person who took the money later quit the job and a month later the money was taken out of my check and it was titled "employee advancement". I never signed any papers agreeing to such, I am not certain if the surveillance cameras were reviewed before taking this action and the matter had not been brought up in nearly a month. What should I do

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Scott Benjamin Riddle


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . What happened when you asked your supervisor about it? That was the obvious first step and probably would have led to an explanation of their side of the story.

  2. Ainsworth G. Dudley Jr.

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Your employer cannot deduct money from your check for funds that were taken by someone else. The employer also cannot deduct monies from your paycheck if the deductions cause you to be paid less than the minimum wage or overtime wage if applicable. Ask the employer to reimburse you. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,060 answers this week

3,439 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,060 answers this week

3,439 attorneys answering