Is it legal for an Employer to ask for "Any" communications with an Attorney

Augusta, GA |

I received this email. "I am not sure how much clearer this can be made. Any communication from your attorney (i.e. legal representative) regarding issues you may have with this facility must be forwarded (i.e. sent, provided, directed) to Chris K####, Labor Attorney. I do not/will not speak with your legal representative unless I am directed by the labor attorney. If you are still confused about this, you are welcome to contact the labor attorney or CPAC". So can they ask for "Any" communication? Or is there limitations as to what they can ask for? Thanks Matthew

I think you are seeing demons where there are none. It is clear to me this is a reference to communications FROM your attorney TO the company, NOT TO YOU. Read that way, it is perfectly lawful behavior.

So, in others, if it's a communication to me, then it would be privileged information? Thanks.

Meant to say In other words.

Anthony Bettencourt Cameron

Anthony Bettencourt Cameron

You got it! Not that employers don't do dastardly things. This just isn't one of them. And....yes....I knew what you meant. No penalty for typos here or I'd be tossed out! Be well and do good.

Ha! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it! Thanks for the comments! Very, very helpful!!! Best regards, Matthew

Yes, it is legal for them to ask. Your communications with your lawyer are privileged, but you can waive that privilege and share those communications with your employer if you wish to do so.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Professional ethics topics