Is it legal for an auto repair shop to charge storage fees?

Asked over 5 years ago - Van Nuys, CA

The auto repair shop that repaired my engine is charging me a daily storage fee for the entire time my car was on their lot. According to my insurance company, my car could have been there for a year waiting for them to pay the claim & they cant charge me a dime. Well the repair shop isnt budging and every day the amount they are charging me goes up! Is this legal?

1. Okorie Okorocha

1

1

Answered . I am trying to figure out if it is there because you were unable to afford to pay to pick it up or what the reason it is there for. Also, is there any paperwork you signed or have relating to when you gave the car to them that addresses this?

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do
    not know the law in your state or at all for that matter and that I am
    just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with
    an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in
    your area immediately after reading my posting.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

3

Answered . In many states there are laws that require that the repair shop must include if there are to be daily storage charges right in the estimate for work upon which the basis for the repair agreement is negotiated. In many states a Repair Estimate must Include "daily storage charges" if any. I do not practice in your state (I am in Chicago, IL) so you might check with the local better business bureau to see if there are any local or state requirements for auto shops and disclosure of daily storage charge fees for auto repair shops.

So, if your auto repair shop put such charges in your estimate, you may have had to read the fine print on the paperwork before signing up with the shop. If not, you may have a beef.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.