Is it Legal for a workplace to have audio and video camera for its workers.

Saint Louis, MO |
Filed under: Civil rights

Is it Legal for a workplace to have a camera to see and hear the workers in a small office without the coworker’s permission in the State of Missouri? The people that are hearing and viewing it are in another office. The camera is in the waiting room but it can hear the conversations in the rooms since it is a small office.

Also if the coworkers do not want it can the boss fire them for insubordination?

If the camera is not concealed and the recording is not surreptitious, it is legal.
And the employer can terminate any employee for any reason -- or for no reason at all -- at any time, except for a reason based on illegal discrimination such as race, gender, etc.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Not every state requires having the camera in a conspicuous place. California's law is much different than the rest of the country. Employers can generally record anywhere as long as it is not in a place where people change OR in places where they give people an expectation of privacy (which is rare).

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights