Is it legal for a store manager of a large corporation to be able to view my annual earnings?

Ofallon, MO |
Filed under: Employment

store manager told me he was able to see what i made last year . can he legally view my W's ?

1. If the manager is your supervisor, he/she has most likely the authority to see it. If the store manager handles the financials or economics of the store and all employees employment, most likely yes. In general, if you are talking about a manager with supervisory function (Ceo, Coo, VP for Finance, etc.), he/she can see the Ws of all of his/her employees. If you have doubt you should check the employees' manual or ask to your HR. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

2. Hi,

There really is nothing that prohibits your employer from sharing your income info with other employees. Obviously, some employees would be required to work with that info. Even if you do not believe this employee had no good reason that really is not your call to make.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 Support@LanternLegal.com DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

3. I don't see any legal reason why this would not be permissible.