Is it legal for a storage company to call my emergency contact & leave personal info on voicemail including amount owed, etc?

New York, NY |

My storage company is calling my emergency contact several times a week for the past few weeks, sometimes even daily! They are leaving voicemails including amount I owe, my unit number, and information regarding possibly auctioning my unit, etc.

Heres my situation: Im currently out of state on work. Ive previously had issues with this storage co when trying to pay with credit card over the phone including loosing my payment & double charging my card. Ive told the storage co I will be back to pay my bill w/late fees next week in person. Its not a big deal. My issue is I think emergency contacts are for emergencies NOT for bill collecting / borderline harassment. I do not think it should be legal for the storage co to disclose such personal info, is it legal?

1. I don't think it is illegal.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. The agreement you signed may have authorized this practice. Your emergency contact should ask them to remove her from the collections list - that's her right.

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists. I earn my living collecting points for "helpful" answers.