Is it legal for a regular person (someone without a concealed weapons license) to carry a night stick in their car in Florida?

Tampa, FL |

Can i carry my night stick in my car for self defense reason or would i need a concealed weapons license?

This is a difficult question to answer because there are so many variables. If a weapon is not immediately accessible for use and is in a closed container, you should be okay. The statutes regarding weapons can be ambiguous--especially when it comes to being in a car--and the best bet is to get a carry concealed weapon (CCW) permit through the State rather than becoming a test case. I might suggest that rather than carrying a deadly weapon--which a club can be--that you consider pepper-spray or a stun gun, neither of which requires a CCW. You are far less likely to have legal issues that way.

Here is a link to the statutes:

My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship with you, and due to the limited information prospective clients provide about legal issues on Avvo, my reply must not be construed as legal advice. I conduct in-depth telephone interviews with all my potential clients before I meet them, and I don't give legal advice outside a contractual attorney-client relationship. In other words, you must sign a contract with me before I will give you legal advice. If you would like to discuss the possibility of me representing you, please call me at 407-463-3506 or email me at