Is it legal for a parent to make their child under 18 pay for their own prescription?

My mother took me to a doctor and got me birth control prescribed. When we went to pick it up, she said it would be my responsibility to pay for it. I am under 18 and currently on their medical insurance.

1. Did you ask for the birth control or is she forcing you to take it?

Michael is in San Jose, California and can be reached at 408-295-4232 or at schwerin@ix.netcom.com. Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.

2. Well, you cannot force your mom to pay for something which is NOT a medical necessity. Also, you have no ability to go into court to force the issue. So, you are simply stuck with your mother's rules in her house until your turn 18 and move out of the house. Sorry!

3. What an interesting idea. Yes, it is legal for your mom to ask you to pay for birth control. It is also legal for your mom to forbid you from taking birth control and to refuse to provide it for you.

Best of luck to you.

Attorney Rebekah Ryan Main

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges. We can be visited on the web at www.Main-Law.com or call 909-891-0906.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

Child custody topics