Is it legal for a NY University to ask for medical records and personal medical information?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Purdys, NY

I recently was hospitalized and missed three weeks of class. I notified my professor while I was in school and when I got out I was told that I needed to supply the university with my complete medical record, sign releases for my providers, meet with the school psychologist and meet with an outside therapist and have them sign a form for the school that included personal information in order to return. I told the school I would send them a letter from my outside doctor stating my dates of admission and that I saw my doctor after I was discharged. The school recieved it and said it wasn't sufficent enough.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I'd go a little farther than my colleagues - ask the university if they have any written policy regarding a student such as you resuming your studies. I wouldn't stand still for someone just telling you what they want. So long as you were a student in good standing when you were hospitalized, they'd have to have a clear-cut reason to deny you re-admittance, and that can't be on an ad hoc basis. The rules may entitle you to a hearing, or otherwise provide for protection of your rights.

    I think you should consult with an attorney - preferably one familiar with education law - about this.

    Good luck.

    I am an attorney admitted solely in NY. None of the answers I submit on this forum constitutes legal advice,... more
  2. Answered . Ask the school in writing the basis why they want you complete medical records.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  3. Answered . I'm only guessing but if you were hospitalized for psychological issues, the university apparently has concerns relating to your safety and/or mental well-being (whether justified or not at this point). I agree with the prior attorney's answer: get a written explanation from the school why it needs your complete medical record and why you need to meet with the school psychologist and an outside therapist.

Related Topics

Privacy law

Privacy law is typically associated with an individual's right to privacy and control over his or her likeness, but may also deal with corporate matters.

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,661 answers this week

3,712 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,661 answers this week

3,712 attorneys answering