Is it legal for a minor to be interviewed and recorded by a private investigator without a parent present or parental consent?

Portland, OR |

Our local School District is investigating an athletic coach and my 16yr old was asked to help in the investigation. When she was interviewed we were told that I could not be in the room with her and after the interview I found out her statements were recorded without my consent.

1. I am not licensed in Oregon so my comments will be general in nature. In addition to being an attorney, I am also a licensed private investigator. I am not sure what your concerns are. From what you have described, your child is not the target of the investigation. The coach is the target and so if he or she is charged criminally, he or she could not assert that your child's rights were violated. Understand? Even if your child's rights were violated, it would not generally help the coach. If your child is later charged with a crime based on that interview, hire an attorney for help.

That being said, it appears from what you said that you were aware of the investigation and allowed your child to be interviewed and did not object. While Oregon may or may not have laws regarding the recording of a minor in that situation, I do not know, but as someone who has written a book about child abuse, if the coach was involved in any type of child abuse (sexual or otherwise) as a parent, I would be more concerned about helping convict him or her than protecting him or her. I hope you do the right thing. Good luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

Juvenile law topics