Is it legal for a member of an HOA BOD to remove personnel files from the business office?

Ukiah, CA |

Two individual board members of the HOA I work for took copies of my personnel files and removed them from the business office. I have no idea where they were taking the files or what they were doing with them. I am currently unable to work and receiving workman's comp pay. I'd like to speak with a labor lawyer if possible.

I am assuming the HOA is a corporation. The authority of a corporation's Directors is stated in the Bylaws and the California Corporations Code. With few exceptions, the Directors would be entitled to copy the corporation's books and records, including personnel files. An example of an exception would be if a Director wanted to copy the data for an improper purpose, like to assist a competing business. Reviewing your files to gain information that may be related to the worker comp case is not an improper purpose.

Note: Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Real estate